William and his wife Alianore had at least two children. There may have been others but no record remains. It was a feature of the times that many children did not survive to maturity and their short lives were not recorded.
In 1304 William claimed the advowson of the church at Wigan alleging that an ancestor of his had held it. Arguments about this advowson crop up from time to time like those about the Standish living. In Wigan, however, the right of presentation seems to have been firmly held by the Langeton family for they administered it for about seven hundred years. Five years later, in 1309, William again claimed the Wigan advowson and prepared a pedigree to support his claim. He stated that an ancestor, Ralph, had presented a clerk to Wigan Church in the time of Richard I (1189/1190). It does not seem that he made any headway against the holders of the advowson. In the year 1309 there was a small land transaction. Alice de Ince, William’s sister, ceded some land to him in Shevington, which had been given to her by her father, Jordan de Standish. Also William de Wigan, so of Neel de Wigan and his wife, Matilda, granted some land in Wigan to William de Standish, the deed bearing the date 3 Edward II. In return William Standish granted to William de Wigan all the lands which had been conveyed to him by Richard de Ince and his wife Alice, the description being “a plot of land 6ft wide and as long as the house in which he lived.” Some further information on the family connections is provided by a charter, also dated 1309, which was preserved by Kuerden, the historian. Drawn up for Henry de Burgh, it shows that he was married to Joan, daughter of William de Standish, and is a settlement on his estates in Chorley and Duxbury, the remainder being made to his son William and his other children by his wife, Joan.
There was an ancient custom whereby two shillings was due annually from the two manors of Standish and Langtree to the Baron of Penwortham and the Lords of these manors were bound to do suit at Penwortham Court, which was held every three weeks. Here they must attend to help dispense justice. William de Standish was juror at the trial of Robert de Cliderhou (Clitheroe), Rector of Wigan Church, who was arraigned for treason, accused of aiding Thomas, Duke of Lancaster, against King Edward the Second. Part of the indictment was that he appealed in church for men-at-arms to go to the help of the Duke. William de Standish was also custodian of the peace for the hundred of Leyland. He was said to hold land to the value of £15 or more and so was summoned also to the Great Council of Westminster.
William’s signature appears on a number of Documents. When his son, John, married Margaret, William and Alianore settled on the young couple an eighth part of the manor of Shevington. William died about 1325/1326, and was succeeded by John de Standish.