Victoria Colliery in 1900AD (Standish)

There were two shafts at this colliery, located on the South East of Standish, approximately 100ft to one side of the main railway line from London to Glasgow. Sinking commenced at North Pit on 15th May, 1900; a man named Cowburn being the sinker. The first brick was laid on 24th May, Queen Victorias birthday.

The Last Colliery in Standish closed

1963 AD Standish Although the Pemberton seams near the outcrops in the Standish Village area had been worked to a small extent during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and although a considerable portion of the Pemberton 4ft Seam was worked from the old Robin Hill Pit in the middle of the 19th century,